Potential Blue-Green Algae Bloom

On August 12 in the area of the east end of the main basin a potential blue-green algae bloom has been detected. The TMLA has notified the South Muskoka Health Unit who will conduct tests to determine if, in fact, it is a toxic bloom. Here are the potential health effects from drinking or coming into contact with blue-green algae:
A) Some blue-green algae produce toxins and can cause a health risk to people and animals when they are exposed to them in large amounts. Your health may be impacted when surface scum or water containing high levels of blue-green algal toxins are swallowed, come into contact with the skin, or when airborne drops containing toxins are inhaled while swimming, bathing or showering.
B) CONSUMING WATER. Ingestion of high levels of blue-green algal toxins have been associated with effects on the liver and nervous system in laboratory animals, pets, livestock and people. Livestock and pet deaths have occurred when animals consumed large amounts of algal scum.
C) DIRECT CONTACT, OR BREATHING AIRBORNE DROPLETS. Coming in contact with high levels of blue-green algal toxins while swimming or showering can irritate the skin, eyes and throat and inflame the respiratory tract.
D) RECREATIONAL CONTACT. Swimming and household contact, such as bathing or showering, with water not visibly affected by a blue-green algae bloom, is not expected to cause health effects. However, some individuals can be especially sensitive to even low levels of algal toxins and might experience mild symptoms such as skin, eye or throat irritation or allergic reactions.
E) ADDITIONAL INFORMATION. Can be found at http://www.simcoemuskokahealth.org/Topics/SafeWater/bluegreenalgae_copy1.aspx